RE: minibuffer-message binds inhibit-quit

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: minibuffer-message binds inhibit-quit
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:26:17 -0700

> Btw, I think by ``command'' the comment you cited means the command
> that called `minibuffer-message'.  For example, the message "No match"
> is displayed when I type TAB to complete a string that has no
> completions; in this case, ``the command'' is the one bound to the TAB
> key in the minibuffer, and that command is indeed done when the
> message is visible.  Perhaps that is the cause of your confusion: you
> seem to think that ``the command'' is whatever caused Emacs to enter
> the minibuffer in the first place.

You're right to distinguish the two sorts of commands. And no doubt the comment
refers to a command initiated from the minibuffer during input (e.g. via a
minibuffer keymap).

But it doesn't follow that that command, which calls `minibuffer-message', is
finished as soon as the message is displayed. You can't argue only from a
specific example: TAB is done as soon as it displays its message, but `my-cmd',
bound to `C-M-S-H-backspace' might not be done as soon as it displays a message.

Regardless of which command calls `minibuffer-message', and when, there is no
guarantee that the command is "virtually finished" when the message is
displayed. A command can do anything after displaying a message.

Again, I don't know if the binding is appropriate. This is only about the
comment, unless the comment's assumption is a requirement for adding the
binding.