Re: Display-based word wrapping

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Display-based word wrapping
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:32:07 +0900

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
> It would be easier, for example, to introduce a separate patch that
> automatically adjusts the right fringe so that the editable area has a
> certain width.

No, that would be bad.  Fringes have a number of properties which would
make them unsuitable for use as a "wide wrapping margin".

Fringes are designed to relatively narrow, and are used for many
indicators.  Thus fringes are (1) visually distinguishable, (2) global,
and (3) have indicators in them even when normal line-wrapping isn't
being used.

So if I wanted to, say, wrap at 72 chars in an 80-char window, I _don't_
want an 8-char-wide colored band on the right, with all my indicators
shifted over (and I most certainly don't want an 8-char wide fringe in
every window!!!).  I want whitespace.  That's it.

-Miles

--
Road, n. A strip of land along which one may pass from where it is too
tiresome to be to where it is futile to go.