Re: Why not tell about customize-set-variable?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Why not tell about customize-set-variable?
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 23:27:17 +0200

Robert J. Chassell wrote:
   If I understand it correctly customize-set-variable can be used for
   those who prefer to edit .emacs rather than use the custom interface.

The two I know of are custom-set-faces and custom-set-variables.  They
are put automatically into an initialization file by the Custom user
interface (that is how I discovered them) and can be edited manually.

Their expressions look like this (from my .emacs file):

        (custom-set-variables '(Info-fontify t))

        (custom-set-faces
         '(font-lock-comment-face
           ((((class color) (background dark)) (:foreground "yellow")))))

    If so should not this be documented in Info?

Yes, they should; I did not realize they weren't!

custom-set-variable is on another level.

I think there maybe is missing a very important piece of information from the doc string of custom-set-variables. Doest not calling that function set where to store customizations too?