Re: longlines-show-hard-newlines - should not the default be t?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: longlines-show-hard-newlines - should not the default be t?
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:35:47 +0900

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
> I think the default value should be t. I think longlines can be quite
> confusing otherwise.

The current behavior is _exactly_ like the overwhelming majority of
windows/mac/gnome/etc text-entry displays:  they treat hard newlines as
paragraph boundaries, but do not visually differentiate them from
automatically wrapped lines.  [Though the difference is usually fairly
obvious because of whitespace]

There are certainly times when one wants to explicitly show hard
newlines, but it shouldn't be the default.

-Miles

--
Discriminate, v.i. To note the particulars in which one person or thing is,
if possible, more objectionable than another.