Re: Another neat Eclipse'ism

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Another neat Eclipse'ism
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 14:22:26 -0400

> That put me in a minority of one.  Most of the existing code seemed to
> have been written by people who felt that entire methods should
> consist of a single line of code ... well a slight exaggeration but it
> makes the point.  Fixing this code in Emacs is a piece of cake between

Since the 80-columns rule has nothing to do with screen size but with
the human brain, maybe you can find some relevant software-engineering
principles (probably alongside cyclomatic complexity or something ;-).
It might allow you to make a stronger case.

>> Personally, I use a much simpler solution: I use my right window border
>> as "vertical column".  It has worked for as long as I remember (even
>> under xterm) and it saves screen real estate.

> This has the consequence of either having text off screen or folded
> with ugly fringe arrows.

That's OK: 99% of those cases need to be fixed, so I fix them.
The remaining cases where a long line is a better choice than the
alternatives are sufficiently rare that it's a non-issue.

> Both are past my pain threshold.

That's the intention: it compels you to fix the buggers.

        Stefan