Re: Lost antialias?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Lost antialias?
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:34:05 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> What font should we use for variable-pitch?  Bitstream Vera Sans?
>
> I'd put "Sans-Serif" first, so as to re-use fontconfig's default.
> Similarly for fixed-pitch (not sure if that's "mono" or "monospace" or
> what).

Fontconfig's generic handling seems aimed more at finding something
"usable" rather than something "good", and the ordering seems almost
random (Bitstream Vera comes before Dejavu, even though the latter is
more or less a better version of the former, and on my system "Sans
Serif" resolves to "Kochi Gothic", apparently simply because I have that
installed).

So I think using generic names as the first choice would often give
suboptimal results.

-Miles

--
Generous, adj. Originally this word meant noble by birth and was rightly
applied to a great multitude of persons. It now means noble by nature and is