Re: Platform Dependent Code

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Platform Dependent Code
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:26:48 -0400

<address@hidden> writes:

> How much of emacs is platform dependent code? I am wondering how much
> code has to be replaced if you wanted to port emacs to a new platform
> essentially: How much of emacs is native c code / libraries and how
> much is done through lisp code?

Almost all the platform-dependent code is in C and concerns
terminal/window system communications.  See the w32* and mac* files in
the source tree for an example.  The rest of the work is a matter of
juggling compilation switches, identifying system call names, etc.

(If you provide some information about what platform you are interested
in, maybe someone could be more helpful.)