Re: font-related hanging / general brokenness

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: font-related hanging / general brokenness
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:28:15 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>> > % xlsfonts -fn '-bitstream-dejavu sans
>> > mono-medium-r-normal--16-*-0-0-c-0-iso8859-1'
>
>> $ xlsfonts -fn '-bitstream-dejavu sans
>> mono-medium-r-normal--16-*-0-0-c-0-iso8859-1'
>> -bitstream-dejavu sans mono-medium-r-normal--16-0-0-0-c-0-iso8859-1
>
> Weird.
>
> It seems that your X, perhaps the module supporting TTF, has
> a bug.  I don't know an easy workaround for such a problem.
> Checking each font if it is surely openable or not in the
> font-selection routine is too much costly.  Changing the
> order of font drivers from x,xft to xft,x will solve
> (actually just hide) the problem.  But, why don't you remove
> such unusable fonts from your X font path?

The problem seems to come from the debian "x-ttcidfont" package; the bogus
entries are in "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/fonts.dir".

Removing that directory from the font-path solves the problem.  I've removed
the package too (I think the only reason I installed it was to use those
fonts with the old pre-xft emacs).

I'll report this as a bug with x-ttcidfont; maybe a note should be added to
PROBLEMS as well?

Thanks,

-Miles

--
XML is like violence.  If it doesn't solve your problem, you're not
using enough of it.