Re: bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:59:49 +0200

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 18:47, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

> Do you need to create a basic loaddefs by hand for some special
> reason, or can you just rely on autoload-ensure-default-file, like the
> Unix build does?

I don't know, it's been that way for a long time (at least since
2000-09-14), and at 30 minutes each bootstrap I'm not very inclined to
try to "fix it", truth be told (other than the current breakage, of
course).

> Re the W32 lisp makefile, I would suggest syncing the autogen-clean
> target and its use (it is referenced in INSTALL.CVS).
>
> A quick glance shows that the w32 makefile looks a bit out of date, eg
> re mh-autoloads, emacs-deps (I can't understand this one personally),
> custom-deps and finder-data prereqs, cus-load target, etc. A more
> general sync/update may be good. Whether you want to copy the ELCFILES
> stuff that allows for parallel byte-compiling, I leave up to you...

I don't think changing around the Windows makefiles for no reason is a
good idea. Revamping the whole makefile stuff on Windows would be
good, perhaps (Eli has said several times that the MS-DOS method of
generating the makefiles from the generic unixy ones via sed could
work). But it is quite a task waiting for a brave soul. I personally
have headaches every time I have to fix a problem in a makefile.

    Juanma