Re: Automatic bootstrap

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Automatic bootstrap
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:36:24 +0100

Richard M Stallman wrote:
A week or so there was a discussion about the inconvenience of the
existence of `make bootstrap'.  I suggested that we create a source
file bootstrap.el whose compiled file, bootstrap.elc, would control
whether `make emacs' does a bootstrap or not.  We could also change
bootstrap.el trivially after installing any change which we think
makes it advisable for testers to bootstrap afresh.

I don't think it will work, as developers who make changes that make it advisable to bootstrap would forget to change that file. Other developers might change it needlessly, causing testers with low end hardware unnecessary pain.