Re: `font-face-attributes' sometimes returns bogus :height value

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: `font-face-attributes' sometimes returns bogus :height value
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 06:13:21 +0900

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>>> To make this work means either omitting the :height attribute entirely
>>> from the returned attribute-list, or alternatively, keeping it, but
>>> using `:height unspecified' for the height.
>>
>> I think :weight thru :width should also be omitted or
>> `unspecified' in the above case.
>
> Why should it affect the :weight and :slant parameters?  The user can
> specify "Dejavu Serif Bold Itallic" or "Dejavu Serif:bold:italic", etc.

I think the main point is that while `font-face-attributes' _can_ return
:weight, :width, etc., parameters, it should only do so if the user
explicitly specified them.  Right now it seems to always do so.

So, ideally:

    (font-face-attributes "Dejavu Serif")
    => (:family "Dejavu Serif")

    (font-face-attributes "Dejavu Serif-10")
    => (:family "Dejavu Serif" :height 100)

    (font-face-attributes "Dejavu Serif Italic")
    => (:family "Dejavu Serif" :slant italic)

etc.

--
Conservative, n. A statesman enamored of existing evils, as opposed to a
Liberal, who wants to replace them with new ones.