bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:57:46 +0200

[This is on Windows, but I think it happens in GNU/Linux and other
environments as well.]

After a maintaner-clean, I'm getting errors in bootstrap:

In toplevel form:
calc/calc-aent.el:30:1:Error: Cannot open load file: calc-loaddefs.el

In toplevel form:
eshell/em-alias.el:96:1:Error: Cannot open load file: esh-groups

etc.

AFAICS, the reason is that maintainer-clean deletes these files, but
bootstrap does not regenerate them it if ldefs-boot.el happens to be
up-to-date with respect to their sources. And, after the bootstrap,

  cd lisp
  make autoloads

doesn't either. The only answer is deleting loaddefs.el and doing
"make autoloads recompile" again.

Can someone think of a fix that does not involve too much trickery in
our already-tricky-enough makefiles?

     Juanma