Re: header-line and mode-line faces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: header-line and mode-line faces
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:41:17 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:46:50 -0700
>
> > > I don't think that is a good idea. The default value should
> > > just inherit from face `mode-line'.
>
> > I don't see why.  Please explain more.
>
> Uh, so you can customize just the mode-line face and have the header-line face
> reflect the change.

This can be said about all the other faces as well.  I hope you don't
argue that they should all be alike by default.

> > > Users should be able to customize face `mode-line' and have face
> > > `header-line' follow suite.
> >
> > Why? they are different faces used for different portions of display.
> > They should be different by default so people could easily tell one
> > from the other.
>
> They are different faces, and you can also customize them separately.
>
> But header-line inherits from mode-line *today*. Why?

Because they are very similar.  But the disagreement between us is not
about the inheritance, it's about identity.  A face can inherit from
another and still be different in small ways.