RE: Subject of closure notifications sent to submitters [Re:bug#119ackno

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Subject of closure notifications sent to submitters [Re:bug#119acknowledged by developer (Closing fixed bugs)]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:24:00 -0700

> > Well, what can I say? Such a subject line is useless to me. The only
> > connection it shows with the bug I filed is the bug number, and that
> > is not the most helpful for finding the thread of messages,
> > including the original, that involve the bug.
>
> That's a message which is sent to a submitter, which is outside of the
> thread of the discussion of the bug in most cases. Furthermore, the
> message you got sent comes from using close, which is deprecated
> because it doesn't provide enough information to the submitter to see
> exactly why their bug was closed. [I'm most likely going to remove it
> in the future anyway, so people whouldn't get used to using it now.]
>
> > FWIW, any bug tracking system I've ever used sends mails that keep
> > the original bug title intact as the subject. Even when the original
> > title does not accurately describe the bug, it is kept (along with
> > the bug number) as the bug identifier, and that identifier is used
> > in the Subject of all mails concerning the bug.
>
> That's because most bug tracking systems don't use mail for everything
> that they do, and the only subject they have is the original message.
>
> > Also, please at least add a link in the mail body to the original
> > bug report in a threaded list on a Web page. We should be able to
> > just click a link in any mail regarding a particular bug to get to
> > the complete thread.
>
> It's in the footer of all messages sent out by the BTS (or at last,
> should be; if it's not, bounce me a complete example off list.)

Much of what you wrote doesn't seem to be about the message that I spoke of,
IIUC. For instance, there is no link in the footer of that message.

Anyway, I guess you're saying that such messages will no longer be sent out (?)
because you are deprecating "close" (whatever that is). If so, this discussion
is presumably moot.