RE: byte-compile-nogroup-warn effectively disabled

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: RE: byte-compile-nogroup-warn effectively disabled
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 17:02:44 +0900

Drew Adams writes:

 > What for? What is gained? Sounds like an invitation for user errors
 > that won't necessarily be noticed right away. It might not be an
 > important error to assign the wrong group, but why encourage that
 > possibility?

I often use this style:

(defgroup a)
(defcustom a-1)
(defcustom a-2)

(defgroup b)
(defcustom b-1)
(defcustom b-2)

I think that's clean and natural, and I think it's pointless to
require a :group in every defcustom when that is the style being used.
Furthermore, in most cases I only use one group in a file; a module
large enough to need two custom groups is usually large enough to be
two modules.

Since a large minority of my defcustoms are at most 5 lines long with
the :group line, that's often a 25% increase in the number of
defcustoms I can get on the screen.

 > There is no reason at all to assume that the next option in the
 > file should have the same group(s) as the previous one.

That's not what Stefan said, he said it gets the last group defined
(which I assume means defgroup'ed) in the file.