Re: bootstrap compiles C files twice

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: bootstrap compiles C files twice
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 15:29:56 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I meant to say that there might be a good reason for compiling the
> sources twice, and that understanding how and why did we get rid of
> the -DPURESIZE= switch on the first of these two compilations might
> help us understand that good reason, or realize that there isn't
> one.

I can't imagine that you mean there's a reason to do two identical
compilations, so you can only mean (?) that you are concerned the
-DPURESIZE difference might need to be put back. To which I can only
say again that it's worked fine without it for years. I guess the
reason is the already mentioned contemporaneous change to set
purify-flag nil when making bootstrap-emacs.

The fact that dumping bootstrap-emacs reports: 109423 pure bytes used

whereas dumping emacs proper reports: 1961272 pure bytes used

makes me feel pretty relaxed about PURESIZE issues.