width of propertized string

From: David Reitter
Subject: width of propertized string
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:53:03 +0100

Given a propertized string, how would one find out what its (pixel) dimensions are going to be?

This is important to justify text and other graphical elements properly. It is also necessary to correctly wrap (variable-width) text before displaying it.

I have asked about this a while ago, but I don't think anything has been implemented. I'd be happy to give it a try, but I need pointers as regards which functions to use: I don't know the display engine at all.

I'd appreciate any help with this.