Font loading slowdown

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Font loading slowdown
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 11:41:54 -0400

Hi Handa-san,

After your latest checkin, I'm experiencing a considerable slowdown in
font loading.  After `emacs -q' creates a frame, it takes up to four
seconds to display the startup screen.  Using a reverted copy, it's
nearly instantaneous.

`emacs -Q' doesn't cause that slowdown, so I think it's due to the
variable-pitch faces used in the startup screen.  (By the way, that
variable-pitch face isn't anti-aliased, either before or after your
checkin, unlike the rest of the faces in Emacs.  So maybe there is a
font matching problem here?)

  2008-06-03  Kenichi Handa  <address@hidden>

    * font.c (font_prop_validate_spacing): Handle uppercase symbols.
      (font_parse_fcname): Fix handling of unknown key.

    * xfont.c (xfont_list): Try an alias.

    * charset.c (char_charset): Return NULL if the arg charset_list is
      specified and C doesn't belong to any of them.

Could you double-check your work?  For the record, I'm using 23.0.60.10
(i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9), with the following Xresources:

Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.hinting: false
Xft.hintstyle: none
Emacs.background: Black