Re: Font selection weirdness

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Font selection weirdness
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 12:36:05 +0100

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

where the props are [abbreviated]

type: gdi
foundry: outline
family: Symbol
name: "-outline-Symbol-normal-normal-normal-decorative-13-*-*-*-p-*-ms-symbol"
format: type1

On my system, Symbol shows up as an Opentype font, but it does not appear to contain a Unicode mapping table - the character set selector in Windows Character Map is greyed out, and selecting the "FOR ALL" character in Character Map (0x22) and copying it and pasting elsewhere results in ASCII 0x22 (") being pasted. If I can figure out a way to determine such fonts when enumerating we can avoid tagging them as supporting Unicode and glyph points, the same way we do now with bitmap fonts.

A weird thing: w32_font->font.glyph_index is 16 when entering
compute_metrics, however code = 8704 (U+2200), which is not a glyph.
Is that correct?

I think that is due to the same problems as above. Perhaps GetCharacterPlacementW in w32font_encode_char did not return an error as expected, and just silently copied the Unicode code point to the glyph code point. Another posibility is that w32font_encode_char has not been called for that character yet, which would be a bug somewhere in Emacs.