Gnu Emacs and Vista ASLR feature

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Gnu Emacs and Vista ASLR feature
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:28:00 +0200

Hi all,

I'd like to raise a problem with Gnu Emacs and Vista. There is this new
Adress Space Layout Randomization feature in Vista. An executable will
be randomly rebased at load-time. I have compiled 23.0.50 using MSVC 2008
and I'm experiencing the following :
- the  freshly compiled emacs.exe always runs
- if I kill it, or if I reboot or whatever other condition (like loading large programs, namely Lispworks),
 the same emacs.exe crashes
- if I recompile it, it will run.

I suspect some interference between this Vista ASLR feature and the way Gnu Emacs is dumped. I'm only a casual reader of this groups, so maybe this issue has already been raised (but couldn't find
anything relevant in Google).

Any insights about the best way to solve this problem would be welcome. For the moment, I'm investigating with the /dynamicbase:no option of the linker to see if it makes any difference.

Best regards,

--
Fabrice Popineau