RE: Two problems of completion

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: RE: Two problems of completion
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 00:12:59 +0800

>> 1. Special case: the string before completion is the empty string "".
>
>> In this case, completion--try-word-completion will see a completion
>> available, i.e. ("" . 0), and then try firstly completing with " " (""
>> + " ") and then "-" ("" + "-"). Partial completion often (e.g. in a
>> command execution context, i.e. typing M-x then typing SPC) returns a
>> result of ("-" . 0), make a completion available.
>
>> I think when the user press SPC directly in such a case, it means that
>> the user wants to see a list of available completions, instead of
>> wanting a partially completed word. So this case might need special
>> handling.
>
> I've installed a workaround for this situation: if the minibuffer is
> empty, and SPC tries to add a " " or a "-", it turns off
> partial-completion while doing it.

Thank you.  I should have replied this thread, but I wanted to read
minibuffer.el in order to say something constructive.  Sadly I still
don't finish reading it, so I did not reply it.  Sorry for the delay.

I've tried it, which works perfectly.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu
Explore the seven wonders of the world