Re: 23.0.60; [nxml] BOM and utf-8

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; [nxml] BOM and utf-8
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 12:11:17 +0900

Patrick Drechsler writes:

 > I second the opinion that it would be nice to have the option to hide
 > (or remove) the BOM while editing the file in Emacs and reinserting it
 > (if it was removed) when done editing.

I believe that there is a utf-8-signature or similarly named coding
system which does this.  (It's called utf-8-bom in XEmacs but IIRC
Emacs uses the more accurate name, since UTF-8 is of course always
bigendian.)

You can use the auto-coding-alist (or something like that) to ensure
that files with certain names always get the strip-BOM-on-input,
prepend-BOM-on-output behavior.