Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 09:56:58 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> How big are the data structures holding all the unicode character info
> and translation tables for encodings?

I have not yet calculated them.  Each CJK charset defined by
a map need a char-table of encoding and a vector for
decoding.

> At one point you said you wanted
> to make the unicode tables be loaded on demand but AFAIK they are
> currently dumped into the emacs executable. Could that account for a
> large proportion of the size increase?

They are surely loaded on demand.  And, at the end of the
dumping process, by calling clear-charset-maps, all loaded
maps are set to nil, and then garbage-collect is called.  So
I think they are not included in the dumped Emacs.  Perhaps
some other char-table is the culprit.  Maybe
Vchar_unify_table.  I must re-read src/charset.c.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden