Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 08:59:07 -0700

Jason Rumney wrote:
How big are the data structures holding all the unicode character info and translation tables for encodings?

If that turns out to be the problem, will someone please contact me directly?
(I ask that because I mostly just skim this list and so miss things.)

Several years back I devoted a pretty decent number of hours to working
out good ways to compress the run-time representation of such tables
without sacrificing much performance on accesses.   If it would be helpful,
I can take a little bit of time to refresh my memory of how I did it and
report that to someone working on the problem in Emacs, thus hopefully
saving time (and squeaking a little bit more "payout" from my initial
investment).

-t