Re: bug#222: isearch-repeat-forward: wrong overlay after failure

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: bug#222: isearch-repeat-forward: wrong overlay after failure
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 03:30:21 +0300

>> (unless isearch-mode
>>      (isearch-mode 1))
>
> Another alternative would be to make isearch-repeat-forward simply work in
> this case because it does something useful.

I think we need a general function that will start isearch with
an arbitrary string.  This string could be the last search string
or the word/symbol/thing at point.  The latter will provide a
useful feature currently presented in Vim (keys `*' and `#').
There is one implementation I helped to create in
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SearchAtPoint
This could be generalized and added to isearch.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/