Re: customizing key definitions with Customize

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: customizing key definitions with Customize
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 22:42:48 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:
Only the object of customization can be reverted to its default value, just as only that object can be set or
saved. Pieces of the object are not individually
subject to these operations. To be able to set, save, or revert a single key description, it would need to have
its own defcustom. AFAIK.
Can't this be handled by saving the original key binding together with the new binding? Can't a widget have invisible
properties to handle this in the custom buffer?

I really don't know. As I said, I'm no widget wizard.
I suppose anything is possible. But has anything like that ever been done for
other types of collections? Is it really something we want to get into?

It doesn't seem to me a big deal to revert all of the edited (or edited and set)
bindings in order to revert a single change you might have made. What it really
comes down to is setting (or saving, depending on the kind of reverting you want
to do) the option each time you change one of the collection members (in this
case, key definitions), before you change another. If you have set (or saved)
the option just before you edit a single member, then reverting will, in effect,
revert only that member. AFAIK.

I don't know anything about implementing what you mention, but I guess I'm also
questioning whether much would be gained by it.

You have a point there. It is much better to concentrate on getting customize-sparse-keymap to work at all.