Re: proced.el -- operate on processes like dired

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: proced.el -- operate on processes like dired
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 06:54:56 +0200

On Sun May 11 2008 Juri Linkov wrote:
> However, now `proced' displays only processes belonging to the current
> user, and not all processes.  Could you add a filter, e.g. asking in
> the minibuffer to select among values "all" and "user"?

Proced already allows you to choose a "listing type" (via
proced-listing-type bound to l). Note that this is customizable via
proced-command-alist. The idea is that here you can play with the
options of ps(1) (of course, this depends greatly on the rather
different options available on different systems).

In the future I also want to a add a filter-like behavior that
allows you to either mark processes or to restrict the display to
those processes that would otherwise be marked.

(It's a bit annoying that ps(1) comes in rather many different
flavors. I want to keep it seperate as much as possible what is
achieved in proced via ps(1) itself and via the elisp layer on top
of it.)

> Another feature I suggest is to put column names to the buffer's
> header line, so scrolling will keep them visible in the header
> line.

Thanks, that's a good idea (that will probably even simplify a few
other things that work around the first line in the proced buffer
because this line does not display a process).

> And another small thing I suggest to rename an improper buffer name
> "*Process Info*" (this can be confused with the information about
> one particular process).  Maybe a better name is "*Process List*"
> (this would be like "*Buffer List*").  But if this will conflict
> with `list-processes' with the same buffer name, then maybe a
> simple buffer name `*Proced*' would be more descriptive?

As "*Process List*" is already used by list-processes, "*Proced*" is
probably best (similar to "*Ibuffer*"). Also, the code is such that
one can rename the proced buffer and have several proced buffers in
parallel that use different listing types / filters.

Roland