RE: :file keyword for Customize

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: :file keyword for Customize
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 15:10:02 -0700

> > No idea what you mean by that. Users today can decide when to load
> > `custom-file'. They could do the same with any such files
> > of Customize options, the same way.
>
> I'm having trouble seeing what use this feature is. The user doesn't
> have control over which file different options are saved in,

Yes, s?he would, typically. The programmer would use as a :file sexp a user
option or a function that in some way allowed the user such a choice.

But the choice would not necessarily be arbitrary and separate for each option.
See my previous response about this.

> and the package authors don't have control over when or even if the various
> custom files they write to are loaded relative to each other.

In general, that is correct (and a good thing). But here too, package authors
could defined the context to some extent, within which a user makes such a
choice. But, yes, a user can decide when to load a given Customize settings
file. That is one of the reasons for this feature.

> Who is this for, and what problem is it trying to solve?

See previous, wrt load decisions. In general, this would give both programmers
and users more control over where related options are stored and when they are
loaded. That's all.