Re: Emacs plugin system & Gecko embedding

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Emacs plugin system & Gecko embedding
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 07:51:42 +0200

David Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 05 May 2008 13:00:33 +0200 address@hidden wrote:
>

>> FWIW I'm working(rather slowly), towards the goal of allowing embedding of
>> gtk widgets in emacs buffers. If it suceeds, it would be possible to
>> embed firefox in emacs, using the gtk-socket facility which allows for
>> easy embedding of xembed capable programs.
>
> Would that allow embedding not GTK programs to?

Yes, all programs that support xembed. I did a small gtk test xembed
host using gtk-socket, and it was able to embed mplayer, which isnt a
gtk app. I'm just using gtk-socket because its convenient.

The interface I envision wont be tied to any particular toolkit.  I
currently use a display property called xwidget(external widgets), and
it is supposed to work similar to the image display property.

Again, I should emphasize that this is going rather slowly, because the
emacs display code is complex. I have as yet to reach the stage where my
new display property for xwidgets triggers a "hello world"
message to stdout...

--
Joakim Verona