vc-directory breakage

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: vc-directory breakage
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 11:21:49 -0400 (EDT)

I apologize for the broken state of vc-directory.  I would not voluntarily
have left it in a bad state, but I had an acute attack of viral
gastroentritis yesterday.  Unsurprisingly, a hospital emergency room
turns out not to be a good place from which to fix Lisp bugs.

I'm mostly better now and back on the problem. In the present state of
trunk, it should be possible to do a fresh start of start
vc-directory and get the expected behavior.  However, there's some
odd problem with the way vc-dir is setting up its buffer-local
variables that causes a crash if a *vc-dir* buffer already exists.
I'll have a workaround for that shortly; a true fix may take longer.

The men and women who founded our country knew, by experience, that there
are times when the free person's answer to oppressive government has to be
delivered with a bullet.  Thus, the right to bear arms is not just *a*
freedom; it's the mother of all freedoms.  Don't let them disarm you!