Re: Next release

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 17:56:03 -0700

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:

  > >> for > the Mac, which don't look at all like minor changes...
  > >>
  > >> You're seeing the changes that have been accumulated for a
  > >> relatively long period because I restricted the changes between
  > >> 22.1 and 22.2 to strict bug fixes.
  >
  > Correction: not "between 22.1 and 22.2", but "between 22.0.90 and
  > 22.2".  That's why the recent changes include those as of
  > before-merge-multi-tty-to-trunk.

Which is fundamentally different from the stated policy for the branch,
unless the mac platform got a special dispense.  If it did, it wasn't
posted explicitly on the list.

Yidong, does this work OK with the goals for the 22 branch?
Allow development for the Mac, and only minor bug fixes for the other
platforms?
Will a quick security fix release work in this scenario?

  > >> Don't worry.  They don't break the Carbon port of Emacs 22 unlike
  > >> the minimally-tested multi-tty support you've done for the Carbon
  > >> port of Emacs 23.
  >
  > > Thank you, this is a great way to thank someone that is not a user
  > > of Carbon, does not have experience on that platform, but
  > > volunteered his time to get it from not even compiling to the point
  > > where it can start up. And that was the only effort since to get
  > > this working.  Again, thank you very much for your appreciation.
  >
  > What was the motivation to do that then?  If you were familiar with
  > either Carbon or multi-tty, I could understand that.  Did you want to
  > pretend as if multi-tty was ready to get merged to the trunk?

Thanks again, questioning a gift and bashing the giver is indeed the
ideal way to treat the giver.  No good deed should ever go unpunished!

Congratulation on the great strategy employed here: it is so much better
to spend time to periodically whine on the mailing list about the
multi-tty merge, and now, out of the blue, abuse _again_ the only person
that actually did _anything_ to get Carbon working with multi-tty, when
it would be would be much less effort to actually fix the minor bugs
left.  Outstanding job!

This excellent attitude, good manners towards contributors and great
interest in the multi-tty work is even more admirable when seen in
context: