Re: Changes to vc-directory

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Changes to vc-directory
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 07:06:35 -0700

Neal Becker <address@hidden> writes:

  > Nick Roberts wrote:
  >
  > >  > I have one installation of 23.0.60, a few weeks old.  C-x v d runs
  > >  > vc-directory, which works great with Hg.  I have a newer 23.0.60 cvs,
  > >  > and
  > >  > C-x v d runs vc-status.  Not nearly as useful for me (vc-status shows
  > >  > all the junk files, and doesn't have nice key bindings for diff, for
  > >  > example).
  > >  >
  > >  > The Tools/version control menu has changed.  I liked the old one - with
  > >  > Tools/version control/VC directory listing (C-x v d) bound to
  > >  > vc-directory.
  > >
  > > I think the plan is for vc-status (now vc-dir) to replace vc-directory.
  > > You appear to have three choices:
  > >
  > > 1) Use an old Emacs and not get the features of newer versions.
  > >
  > > 2) Bind vc-directory to "C-x v d" in your .emacs. knowing that this
  > > command
  > >    will eventually disappear.
  > >
  > > 3) Start to use vc-dir and contribute to it's development so that it does
  > >    what you want it to do.
  > >

  > My workflow:
  > 1) vc-dir to show me what is modified
  > 2) vc-diff on a file to show me the diff
  > 3) vc-ci (or whatever) to commit the change
  >
  > Here's what I'd like:
  >
  > 1) A menu entry to vc-dir to hide uninteresting files.  Often I have many
  > test results that are not revision controlled.

The usual way is to setup your .{git,hg,cvs,bzr}ignore to ignore those
test results.  There's nothing in emacs yet that does this yet.

  > 2) Something equivalent to #2 and #3 above
  >
  > 3) Also, a few less-used options, such as revert or delete.

The "C-x v" keys work in vc-dir, and so do M-x vc-* commands.
See also they key bindings for = and R
Also take a look at the menu.

Not all VC commands have simple key bindings in vc-dir yet.