Re: Next release

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 16:30:35 -0400

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Nick Roberts wrote:
>
>> Apart from a massive commit for org-mode, development has pretty
>> much died off on the EMACS_22_BASE branch. Unless a security release
>> is needed, I hope that the next release, no matter how long it
>> takes, comes from the trunk as that's where most people (including
>> myself) appear to be putting most bug-fixes now. In this respect
>> even billing a release from EMACS_22_BASE as a bug-fix release can
>> only create a bad impression.
>
> I haven't installed anything on EMACS_22_BASE since 22.2, because I
> hope 23.1 will be released soon enough to make 22.3 unnecessary. But I
> will install things on EMACS_22_BASE if there is going to be, or is
> likely to be, a 22.3 release.
>
> Is there an official answer?

If all goes well, the Emacs 23 freeze will begin sometime in late June,
depending on how long Handa's font-backend branch and (hopefully) ECB
take to merge into the trunk.  From that point, I'm hoping for around
six months of testing until the 23.1 release.  With this time frame, I
don't think we will release 22.3 , unless a security hole appears that
we need to fix.

In other words, go ahead and check in minor fixed to the branch if you
like, but it's not necessary.  Major fixes definitely should *not* go
into the branch, since there will be no time to do extensive testing if
a security release is needed.