Re: Very interesting analysis of "the state of Emacs"

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Very interesting analysis of "the state of Emacs"
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:12:44 +0900

Stephen Eilert <address@hidden> writes:
> Before diving in the merits of whether or not it is possible to add
> multi-tasking to Emacs (by that I assume full-blown threads), what are
> the problems this is trying to solve?

One thing I've heard a lot is that it's annoying to wait 5 minutes for
gnus to finish reading in a huge group or something.

Of course Gnus could be rewritten to do potentially lengthy stuff in the
background (and that's what usually happens with such things ... e.g.,
"M-x man"), but it's probably not easy, and in many cases not even
desirable -- when the wait is short, I think it's less confusing for the
user for such actions to be synchronous.

-Miles

--
((lambda (x) (list x x)) (lambda (x) (list x x)))