Re: What IDE features do we need?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What IDE features do we need?
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:25:01 +0200

<address@hidden> writes:

> Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> So I'd say the core functionality is there.
>> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> If not, what else is needed?
>>
>> Lots of UI features, but the most important things have been addressed
>> recently, like persectives, dedicated windows, tabs on windows.
>
> but as already discussed - dedicated windows is not sufficient for
> real IDE-feelings...

One thing that I think quite relevant is error navigation visualization:
we have previous/next error already.  However, when viewing the
compilation buffer/log, there are some more features that make error
handling much more handy and also "intuitive".

a) in-scroll-bar marking of errors: the scroll bar contains error
markers where errors have been encountered.  In that way, even when the
full log is shown, you can easily navigate to each error and see what it
is about.

b) error folding: the log file only shows errors/warnings by default,
possibly only the first line of each.

c) marking errors and/or warnings with symbols in the margin.  Can be
combined with b.

--
David Kastrup