Re: Improving Emacs for writing code

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Improving Emacs for writing code
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 01:10:52 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>   I would be happy to see CEDET in Emacs.  It has always been a goal
>> of mine, but I also know my long-term vision for CEDET does not always
>> map onto what others want to see, and picking out only the tasty bits
>> of CEDET may be hard without using the entire thing.
>
>>   Speedbar is in Emacs in a way that requires merging between our CVS
>> trees.  The merges are difficult, which means I don't do them very
>> often, because I can't really contribute to speedbar in Emacs proper.
>
> Yes, it's been problematic.
>
> I do think this problem can be significantly reduced on your side by
> simply regularly merging from the Emacs-CVS tree, so the Emacs-CVS tree
> may not always be up-to-date with yours, but yours is, so whenever we
> need to sync the two, the merge has already been done.

If this is agreeable, what's the next step?  Is CEDET in a state where
we can dump it into the Emacs CVS tree, then work out whatever details
need to be worked out?  That would be the fastest way to get things
started up and running.

Also, I'm not too clear about your explanation about the legal problem
you mentioned.  If CEDET is added to Emacs, would your existing
copyright assignment already cover it, or is there some other paperwork
we need to work out?