Re: patch about moving file (or directory) to the Recycle Bin on Windows

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: patch about moving file (or directory) to the Recycle Bin on Windows NT series
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:58:06 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
+void
+syms_of_w32 ()
+{
+  DEFVAR_BOOL ("w32-sys-unlink-use-shellapi", &w32_sys_unlink_use_shellapi,
+              "Non-nil means using shellapi for sys_unlink(), sys_rmdir().");
+  w32_sys_unlink_use_shellapi = 1;
+}

Please use a more descriptive name, such as w32-delete-to-recycle-bin
or something similar.

I would go further, and define it without the w32_ prefix in fileio.c with a suitable #ifdef (HAVE_TRASHCAN for example). If this feature is useful, then we will want to implement it on other platforms too. There seem to be a limited number of Trash directory implementations that cover Gnome, KDE and Mac OSX, and we should be able to figure out from the filesystem which implementation to use, either directly moving files into the .Trash directory, or calling a function like g_file_trash if the appropriate library is linked.