Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:29:09 +0100

On 22 Apr 2008, at 13:20, Robert J. Chassell wrote:
No, the arrow keys without shift do NOT deactivate the region; they
deactivate the HIGHLIGHTING for the region.  I am not only able to
call `exchange-point-and-mark' (which I invoke with `C-x C-x'), which
tells me the region continues to exist, but the highlighting
reappears.

I've always found this behavior confusing. To keep the mark, that's fine and desirable (to do things like C-x C-x), but re-activating the region seems odd.

Jason Rumney wrote:

Here's a possible idea: enable delete-selection-mode by default
but only after shift-selection and mouse-selection.

This would be great if highlighting serves as indication to the user. That is, enable delete-selection-mode by default if and only if the region is highlighted. Without the highlighting, you'd introduce an additional invisible mode, which is bad UI design.