Re: emacsclient almost working!

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: emacsclient almost working!
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:20:17 -0400

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> hi, all.  i'm thrilled to see that - in emacs 23.0.60, debian
> "emacs-snapshot" from a few days ago - i can use emacsclient to get a tty
> frame connected to a X-based emacs session!  yay, yay, yay!  i had to poke
> and prod a bit to get it to work, though, and am wondering whether this is a
> known problem.

> specifically, if i just do

>   emacsclient --tty

> i get an assertion error:

>   *ERROR*: Assertion failed: (eq (match-end 0) (length string))

Not a known problem.  This assertion says that server.el received more
than a single line from emacsclient.  So it may be a problem in
emacsclient where we forget to quote newlines or something like that.

Or it may be something altogether different ;-)

Can you set server-log to t, reproduce the problem and show us the
contents of the " *server*" buffer?

i'm attaching the contents of the " *server*" buffer.  i see at least part of the problem - i had an environment variable CR which had the value ^M (char 13).  unsetting that environment variable prevents the problem.

reproducing the problem without the rest of the environment isn't quite as trivial, though, because just setting the CR as an environment variable (and TERM=...) isn't sufficient to cause the failure.  i suspect there's an environment size threshold, but now i'm just speculating.

so i'm able to avoid the problem by no longer setting the "CR=^M" environment variable (turns out i no longer use it), but i figure you want to prevent this sensitivity altogether, hence all these niggly details.-)

ken

       Stefan

--
ken