Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:33:57 -0400

> * file-remote-p returns t, if a file is not directly accessible by
>   underlying operating system's means. Such files always need some
>   special file name handler functions in Emacs for proper
>   handling. Such (absolute) file names cannot be used literally
>   outside functions, which support file name handlers.

Please read the docstring of file-remote-p, it has "nothing" to do
with the above.  What you describe can misclassify both ways: remote
access can be provided by the OS (using NFS/AFS/SSHFS/...), and local
access can be provided by file-name-handlers (e.g. file:// URLs).

What you're describing is the unhandled-file-name function (which
currently doesn't exist: the closest is unhandled-file-name-directory).

BTW, along the same lines, we may want to provide an
unhandled-file-contents function, so as to detected files accessed via
auto-compression-mode or auto-encryption-mode.

        Stefan