RE: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:44:29 -0700

> >> (new) user to deactivate the region. He/she can use the arrow keys
> >> without shift.
> >
> > That does not deactivate a region when transient-mark-mode is used.
>
> Is that really the case? Then I think it is a mistake. New users will
> expect that arrow keys without shift will deactivate the region.

and

> Don't you think that new users will expect
> arrow keys without shift to deactivate the region?

Please, people, let's stop proposing to remake t-m mode or delete-selection mode
so that they correspond to what non-Emacs users are used to. We have CUA for
that. Both t-m mode and delete-selection mode should continue to let you extend
the active region using unshifted arrow keys.

What I said for delete-selection mode applies also to t-m mode:

>> This is what comes, I suppose, of the suggestion that it
>> become the default behavior. We end up with proposals to
>> shoot out its kneecaps. Delete selection mode is not CUA
>> selection or shift selection. It is not exactly what newbies
>> are used to, and it shouldn't be made so. Let it be.

Apparently, some people who don't use delete-selection mode or t-m mode are
freaked out about their being used by default, and are trying to change their
turned-on behavior to be more like either their turned-off behavior or the
CUA-style behavior that some newbies might expect.

So let's forget about using them by default and let them be, so that those who
do appreciate them can continue to use them.