RE: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:10:20 -0700

> > I think delete-selection-mode (and maybe even transient-mark-mode)
> > should be enabled only when the region was marked using
> > shift movement keys.
>
> I think this is a good suggestion.

I am very much against this suggestion. Screw with mouse-activated-deletion mode
or CUA selection in that way, if you like, or make up something altogether new,
but please don't mess that way with delete-selection mode or
transient-mark-mode. They have nothing to do with shift-selection. They have
everything to do with the Emacs region.

I wasn't in favor of the recent shift-selection "enhancement" to Emacs, and I'm
not in favor of making delete-selection mode depend on using shift and
cursor-movement keys. Quelle horreur !

If you can't or don't want to improve delete-selection mode to make it useful to
people who now find it problematic while still letting others who appreciate its
behavior be able to continue to use it the same way as before, then please just
leave it alone.

This is what comes, I suppose, of the suggestion that it become the default
behavior. We end up with proposals to shoot out its kneecaps. Delete selection
mode is not CUA selection or shift selection. It is not exactly what newbies are
used to, and it shouldn't be made so. Let it be.