Re: C-r and C-s in minibuffer should search completion

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: C-r and C-s in minibuffer should search completion
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:18:29 +0300

>> The reason of adding the C version of internal-complete-buffer was the
>> dynamic nature of the buffer list.  This is described in detail in
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/58453
>
> Oh, that's right.  So I suggest to leave the internal-complete-buffer in
> its C form (it works well and makes sense there since it accesses the
> internal Vbuffer_list variable).  We can still provide a new
> internal-complete-buffer-sans-current.

If there is no equivalent of Vbuffer_alist in Lisp, then
internal-complete-buffer-sans-current will produce wrong results.

A comment in buffer.c says it was a Lisp variable initially:

  /* Alist of all buffer names vs the buffers. */
  /* This used to be a variable, but is no longer,
   to prevent lossage due to user rplac'ing this alist or its elements.  */
  Lisp_Object Vbuffer_alist;

Maybe then we should expose Vbuffer_alist to Lisp via a new function like
`(buffer-alist)' to prevent modifying this alist, but allowing getting
data from it in Lisp.  This will allow implementing equivalent
functionality in other related Lisp functions as well.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/