Re: binding c-h in isearch

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: binding c-h in isearch
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:30:46 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
It is difficult to remmeber all nice features of isearch.
Would it be possible to bind c-h to isearch-mode-help in isearch?

This is done in isearch+.el by Drew Adams.

I think you are right. Beside what Drew have I have a patch for this (which is part of my patches in the patched version of Emacs+EmacsW32).

However I have began to rethink how such help could be implemented. There are other rather similar cases. In tabkey2.el (see EmacsWiki) I also needed to implement some specific help. This is what I did there:

- When the user hits the help key (f1/C-h) a message saying:

  "Type a char for Emacs help. Or, wait for Tab completion help"

- If the response is k or c then specific keybindings valid during tab completion is shown.

This way the user can have access to both a specific help and the usual Emacs help.