Re: Emacs does not listen on w32

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Emacs does not listen on w32
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 22:49:22 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:19:57 +0200
From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
Cc: Emacs Devel <address@hidden>,
        Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
WM_CLOSE should be treated more like qiut.

Other Windows GUI applications do not behave like that: they will ask
you whether to save unsaved changes etc.

Well, that is what I wanted WM_CLOSE to do, of course. I just want one additional thing first: break out of any loop that makes it impossible to exit Emacs in the normal way.

Also, an application that is
stuck in an unresponsive situation will not react to the click on the
[X] button, but will instead cause the OS to display the "program is
not responding" dialog.

If that happens this is a bug in the program. The next step is that Windows offers to send a copy of the memory etc to Microsoft.

I don't think Emacs should break all these user expectations about GUI
program's behavior.

Hm. You can't mean that users on w32 are used to buggy programs and that therefore Emacs also should have a similar bug? ;-)