Re: buffer-local faces?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: buffer-local faces?
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:42:38 -0400

    Stefan Monnier> I know that I've never understood the point of having
    frame-local face definitions, whereas the need for buffer-local face
    definitions has shown up every once in a while.
    Miles Bader> BTW, I want to say I think replacing frame-specific faces
    with buffer-specific faces would be a fantastic idea.
    http://osdir.com/ml/emacs.devel/2002-07/msg00198.html
    http://osdir.com/ml/emacs.devel/2002-07/msg00254.html

I agree.  There are lots of unclean aspects to frame-specific face
attributes, and eliminating that feature would give us a chance to
replace it with something clean.

    I've been working on a minor mode for a few years now that applies
    "default styles" to frames depending on the major mode of the buffer
    displayed in their (first) window.

I think this is the sort of thing that would be cleanest to implement
at the C level.