Re: 23.0.60; etc/DOC-${version}.buildnumber

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; etc/DOC-${version}.buildnumber
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:43:35 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Peter Dyballa <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:14:20 +0200
>
> > I think this is intended, as you still have the Emacs binary from the
> > previous build (emacs-${version}.buildnumber) around, and could use
> > it, e.g., for comparison or some other purpose.
>

> Not when I install or make clean. The installed Emacs wants etc/DOC-$
> {version}.<highest buildnumber>, the cleaned (deleted) Emacs cannot
> want anything.

It used to be the case that the built binary was installed under 2
different names: `emacs' and `emacs-${version}.buildnumber', which
were both hard links to the same file.  Deleting `emacs' would then
leave the other one around, and when invoked, it would want the DOC
file with the corresponding suffix.  Is this no longer the case?  That
is, does installing a new version completely erases the old one?