Recommended build procedure [was Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/nt/I

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Recommended build procedure [was Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/nt/INSTALL, v]
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:53:37 -0400

Jason Rumney wrote:

>> Currently, the `recompile' target of nt/makefile.w32-in runs the
>> `recompile' target of lisp/makefile. It would be perhaps more useful
>> to run the `cvs-update' target introduced by Eli:
>>

> That is not what INSTALL.CVS recommends. Perhaps it should.

I think INSTALL.CVS should as a default recommend the most thorough
way to rebuild. Then say "if you want to save time, you can try X,Y,Z;
but it may not work".

CPU time is cheap, and the time it takes to fully build Emacs is
nothing special compared to other modern applications. Shortcuts just
confuse people when they go wrong, and lead to lots of emails about
spurious problems. The time it takes to sort out people's confusion is
more expensive.