Re: rampant region highlighting

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: rampant region highlighting
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 17:54:25 -0400

Chong Yidong wrote:

> Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I suppose I don't understand what you're trying to do.  What you seem to
>> be saying is that you want a way to disable all occurrences of active
>> region highlighting, even the momentary highlighting induced by dragging
>> the mouse (or double-clicking the mouse).  In that case, why not avoid
>> dragging or double-clicking the mouse?
>
> Also, if you want to disable all instances of region highlighting, what
> should mouse dragging and mouse double-clicking do?  Do you want them to
> be no-ops?

I don't want to disable all instances of region highlighting.
I basically want it to act exactly like it did before tmm was thought of.

I have forgotten what the mouse-set-region-1 advice was supposed to do
(it dates from some time ago). I was clearly trying to disable
whatever the tmm stuff in mouse-set-region-1 does, but I've forgotten
what that might be.

I know what the set-mark-command advice was supposed to do: stop
consecutive marks briefly turning on tmm. So I do personally think
there should be an easier way to disable that feature, but that may be
a very minority opinion not worth bothering about.

It's possible the mouse-set-region-1 advice was just an allergic
reaction to anything that seemed to do with transient-mark-mode, and
serves no useful purpose. So don't worry about it.