Re: Preserving sanity in Emacs [Re: rampant region highlighting]

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Preserving sanity in Emacs [Re: rampant region highlighting]
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 02:19:48 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>>> The point is the place on the screen that you're looking at, where new
>>> text appears when you type.  Are you suggesting that when you type, you
>>> shouldn't see anything, because "point" isn't on the screen?
>>>

>> Nope, jump-scroll back to insertion point handily addresses that. :-)
>
> And C-x C-x too?

Not 100% sure what you mean:

You could have some commands cause a display to jump back to point,
others not - as Martin's scroll-restore.el implemented.  I imagine
C-x C-x would be one of the ones that should warp the display to
wherever the point ends up.

C-x C-x as a "workaround" (or perhaps "usual emacsy way to do it"!) in
existing emacs for scrolling warping the point is quite relevant -
obviously, if you just have the slightest foresight and get into the
habit of setting a mark before ever scrolling away into the wide blue
yonder*, then you can always just warp back to the precise position the
point was at before you scrolled  with C-u C-SPC and C-x C-x as
appropriate to reestablish your pre-scrolling point and mark positions.
(of course, that kinda leads into Thomas Lord's point about emacs
conflating marking and region-selecting mechanisms...  Aside: I wonder
if the mark ring would be more appreciated as a bookmarking mechanism
if it were visually represented, maybe little display blips.)

* Why not just open another frame/window on the same buffer?  Why not
indeed?